December 3, 2009

New Day Dawning


The complexion of this blog is shifting.
**
The posts that precede this one come from three earlier blogs:
Way Ahead Threads, focused on fiber and other art;
Hot Flash Fan, focused on feminist art; and
Turbulence to Tranquility, weekly musings for the spiritually inclined.
**
Each of those topics will continue to receive attention, but the heart of this blog now is to document a movement to bring the church in general and the United Methodist Church in particular back to its senses. I left the UMC in 2005 after a Judicial Council decision that allows clergy to decide who is worthy of church membership. Perhaps if it had been a Southern Baptist to whom the pastor had refused membership, on the grounds that the person didn't believe in infant baptism, I'd see this issue differently. But it wasn't a Southern Baptist. It was an Episcopalian gay person; and the named reason was that he was gay. If he's not welcome, I'm not welcome. And so I resigned. Since then, I've been quiet about it. Now I'm beginning to talk.
**
I considered forming a nonprofit for this adventure. I thought of approaching other nonprofits to see about sharing their umbrella. But then I realized that giving up ordination was so costly that I don't want to be a nonprofit. For once in my life, I actually would like to make sufficient money to make a difference. I want to donate to causes that support our shared humanity, and I want to hire a book-keeper because I don't have time to run the numbers and she has too much time, thanks to cut-throat companies, venal financiers, and the layoffs they've spawned.
*
Plans are afoot.
*
You can help.
*
I need:
--Followers on this blog. Please sign up; and tell your friends.
----Cash for start-up costs.
--Stoles from clergy who have resigned their ordination for reasons of righteousness (so I can combine them with other materials and upcycle the stoles into art, to sell on this blog and perhaps other places).
-----Suggestions of unheralded organizations working toward social justice (because I'm going to donate a portion of the proceeds from the sale of the art to such organizations.)
*
Stay tuned for late-breaking news.
-------------------------------------------------------------------Photo credit: Michael C. Smith

No comments: